So as you know, I have been saving for over a year now, hoping to have enough money for a BIG one year overseas trip. Of course I will most likely need to work toward the end, but I will worry about that later.
Since I have been dating this lovely kiwi boy, he has opened my eyes to some simple, yet great recipes. Well only two. However these two recipes have sustained us for over six months of meals, spending less than $4 on each meal!!
CURRENT WEEKLY BUDGET 90rent | 15cell | 50food | 50fun | 150loan | 300savings
***Also picked up side jobs of coaching cheerleading and bartending for extra fun money
That means we are able to save a lot of money for all those future travel plans we have. While I cannot decide what will happen between us just yet, it is always valuable to save while you can and eat for cheap.
Now keep in mind these are recipes created from the region of New Zealand we are in, however it should be easy to improvise your country. One batch will last a week, a little less for Matt since he is twice my size. We cook it all up on Sunday and freeze into our KK Malaysia containers.
- 1 capsicum
- 1 red onion
- 2 boneless chicken breasts (optional…Matt loves his protein and uses 8!!?)
- 1 tofu package (170g)
- small handful of mushrooms (if you are using mainly tofu)
- 3 packets of El Paso fajita seasoning
- 3 cans of kidney beans
- 3 cans of chopped tomato
- bag of wheat or spinach wraps (usually 8 to a bag)
- 2 avocados
- block of cheese
- sour cream
- tabasco or chipotle sauce (optional)
- Basically fry the tofu in oil and whatever sauce you want (when I cook chicken I use a separate pan until both are cooked then combine)
- dice capsicum, onion and mushrooms into itty bitty pieces while cooking meat and tofu (guys…maybe try one at a time)
- throw veg in with cooked meat for about 5ish minutes
- add kidney beans, and tomato sauce STIR then seasoning STIR
- throw mixture on a wrap and stick in a george foreman/french press IF you have one
- add a bit of avocado, sour cream and tabasco sauce to cooked masterpiece
- Call our favorite curry restaurant and order 3-4 containers of JUST SAUCE **this is super cheating but we love this place and will continue to use this authentic stuff until we have to leave NZ**
- 1 broccoli
- 1 cauliflower
- 4 potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 1 package of green beans
- 1 package of spinach
- 2-8 chicken breast depending on how much you love chicken (matt)
- super easy recipe where you throw sauce in a big pot and boiled chicken breast in another pot.
- cut all veg while chicken is cooking and keep curry sauce on a low heat
- chuck veg into curry pot and remove chicken once cooked
- shred chicken with two forks (or whatever cool tool you have that shreds chicken)
- stick chicken in pot for another 15ish min on low heat
- once all cooked scoop this yummy thick curry back into the containers in which you bought it in! *also used for chicken burrito containers
Yup that is basically what we have been living off of for ten months now. While I never thought I would be eating the same thing every week or fall into a routine this BIG, it saves so much money and is pretty nice to not have to think about “what’s for dinner?”
I imagine if we ever get bored of burritos (which I am addicted to now) then we could switch it up to a massive month shop for 4-5 different meals and freeze all those.
Hope this was informative in some sense, if anything is just made me hungry and although it is 11am on a Sunday morning – I’m going to eat some curry!