While it seems easy to throw some crap in a bag and hit the road, it is better to prepare in order to avoid annoying circumstances when you are sitting in a hostel, frantically searching your bag and realize you have nothing to wear.
While I may be facing another big move, I am organizing for the time being. After throwing together my small closet, this is what I found came in handy while travelling in New Zealand.
- Top row: (left to right) nike waterproof jacket (or a nice outdoor jacket), 2 colorful sports bras (and one normal bra), skinny denim jeans, outdoor waterproof pants, cotton leggings, cotton shorts, havaianas ‘dressy’ sandals (SUPER COMFY FLOPS), nike running shoes
- Middle row: Kathmandu toilette bag, microfiber bath towel, silk sleeping liner, backpack (aim for medium-sized ladies!) sun glasses, underwear bag with 7 pairs inside, cardigan
- bottom row: logo stretch tee, purple cotton long sleeve, gold cotton v-neck, white light cotton tee, stretchy spaghetti strap, cotton 3/4 sleeve
- right column: maxi dress (one for casual and one for dress up) scarf, accessories: necklace and belt
There was a science to all this madness, and although this took a month to think about, it will probably be altered once more before I leave. KEEP IN MIND:
- your bottoms are the same solid color (with the mix of a denim, colored, or print pair of jeans)
- you have some solid matching color tops for accessories
- stick with one major color theme (purple was my choice) and a minor accent color when you get bored (unless you absolutely want the garment)
- a travel silk liner is more useful than a sleeping bag if you are planning on staying in hostels/hotels/apartments, otherwise go with the outdoor sleeping bag
- the microfiber towel does not have to be the normal size of a towel – aim for a smaller towel since it dries quick
- Your toilette bag is going to weigh the most. Try to keep it to a minimum. This Kathmandu bag is handy because it can hang in the shower! More on toilette stuff to come…
- Accessories are going to be your biggest friend. Your clothing is boring so the cheap costume jewelry can make up for it (by costume jewelry I mean you should NOT bring expensive nice things) don’t overload though because you will want to buy stuff along the way!
Other basic outfits for office or trips!